Saturday 5 April 2014

EXAM (ANNOTATION): Film Posters experimentation


Gold Rush poster and my interpretation
This is the poster for the film Gold Rush (poster from http://flickfacts.com/movie/1441/the-gold-rush) which was made in 1925 by Charlie Chaplin. Gold Rush is a silent film and is never watched anymore as it was made almost 90 years ago. This makes this film weathered and worn as it is old, despite Charlie Chaplin's work being iconic and classic.
Next to it is my interpretation of the poster, which was created by using gold, black, white and brown acrylic paint. This is some experimentation to see if recreating film posters is something to consider doing for my final pieces. However I want to continue looking at mark making so I would need to find some way to merge these two ideas together.

Nosferatu poster and my interpretation
This is the film poster for the 1922 film Nosferatu by F.W Murnau (poster from http://derekwinnert.com/nosferatu-a-symphony-of-horrors-classic-film-review-237/). Nosferatu was one of the very first horror horror films about a vampire, which now goes unwatched as it is outdated and almost 100 years old.
Next to it is my interpretation of the poster, which was created by using black, white and yellow acrylic paint. This is further experiementation of recreating film posters however due to this result I may now consider experimenting with making these two interpretations weathered and worn.

Weathered and Worn poster (small)
 This is the result of the experimentation where I attempted to make my posters weathered and worn. I did this by ripping and adding creases to the poster and using sandpaper to rough the edges and I think that this gives a good effect to being weathered and worn. The rips (which can be see in the image below) further the meaning of the film not being watched anymore and this links to my concept even more.

Close up of the rips

Weathered and Worn poster (large)
Close up of sandpaper marks



Weathered and Worn poster (small)
 I used the same process as the previous poster to create the weathered and worn effect however for this poster I also used used coffeestain to make the poster and edges look even more worn and this furthered the effect.

Close up of the coffeestain effect

Weathered and worn poster (large)
I, again, used the same methods to create this weathered and worn effect on the large poster, however I used the ripping technique more and I also used slightly more coffeestain. I also used a small amount of charcoal to create smudges on the poster as this also furthered the effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment