Monday 7 April 2014

EXAM (ANNOTATION): Artist Responses (Alex Brewer)

 
This piece was originally an oil pastel drawing which consisted of marks in the style and shape of an Alex Brewer piece. I didn't like this piece therefore I improved it by covering it with black and white acrylic by using the blotches method. I think that this was a huge difference and the piece looks a lot better. However in terms of an artist response, this piece doesn't entirely respond to the original as it doesn't resemble it on a large scale. I think this piece only took inspiration from the original.

These two pieces are a before and after. I first made the right hand mark, using oil pastel however I felt like this didn't resemble the piece at all, therefore I added black and white oil pastel to it. I used a paintbrush to apply the white acrylic, then I used a palette knife to apply the black acrylic. I did this in a freehand motion and then used the same knife to create the diagonal lines in the white acyrlic box. I liked using the palette knife as it allowed me to cover the area desired quicker than using a paintbrush and this is a tool that I am considering using in my final piece.


This was a similar situation to the previous piece as it is a 'cover-up' to improve the piece. I added black and white acrylic to the oil pastel mark and this improved it significantly. 

This is further use of the palette knife which is a tool I like using. I think if I combine this tool with a paintbrush and create marks with both, this may work well in my final piece.  

This was a similar situation to the previous piece as it is a 'cover-up' to improve the piece. I, again, added black and white acrylic to the oil pastel mark and this improved it significantly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment