Tuesday 8 October 2013

COURSEWORK: Conculsion


Conclusion


My three artists have influenced me in many ways throughout this project. I know that I am not going to use all of them throughout the year however they have made me realise what style of work I want to work in throughout the rest of my investigation.
Carne Griffiths influenced me because I used a lot of tea and coffee stain within my work and this is something he does often. I used Griffiths’ work because of the mark marking that he features in his pieces. Mark making was something I wanted to explore at the beginning of this project. Now I want to explore this in more detail as I have learnt more about it over the past few weeks. Despite all of this, Griffiths’ work doesn't tie into the type of work that I want to carry on with for the rest of the year, so I won't proceed to use him or his work.
Cy Twombly has influenced my work because I want to continue to work in the style of him for the rest of this investigation. I think that Twombly’s work really depicts my theme beautifully as despite his concept not being specifically being about my theme, his work shows the chaos that comes with marriage and divorce, while also showing the contrast between love and hate with the use of his dark and light colours. As I stated before, I am going to make Twombly my main artist for my investigation because of his relevance to my work and theme. I also want to work in the style of Twombly so I can work with similar sizes too.
Linda S Watson and her work hasn’t really influenced me much because I didn’t really like the style of her work. I think that her work does show her anger and emotion, however I haven’t felt the exact emotions nor have gone through what she has. Despite our work both having the same theme, I think that Watson’s work is too violent and shows too much emotion, and this is something I don’t want to do too much of in mine. I won’t be continuing to work with Linda S Watson because in my work I want to show underlying secret emotions.

I worked in the style of all of these artists too. Working in the style of Carne Griffiths was relatively easy however I had to keep going back to the piece of work to improve it which is something I don’t want to do throughout my investigation. Working in the style of Cy Twombly was very exciting as I had to work on wood which I have never done before. I also had to use a straw to make paint run which is always very exciting and it made me remember my childhood as I used to do that when I was younger. Linda S Watson’s work was hard to work in the style of as I had to layer the materials to create depth, like she does.
Working in the style of these artists have made me realise that I want to work on a large scale for the rest of my investigation, just like Cy Twombly. I would also like to work with the materials and styles that Twombly uses in his work too such as oil and wood. Over the year I want to stay with the theme of divorce and I would also like to investigate into marriage as well. I am also considering researching into my family tree as this may be an interesting thing to incorporate into my work. I want to begin to use different colours instead of constantly using white on a dark background as this will create variation in my project. I would like to experiment with using images in my work, which is something that Linda S Watson does in her divorce piece. I think that paint drips over images, possibly of my family etc., will create an interesting effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment