Sunday 6 October 2013

COURSEWORK: 3rd Artist Analysis- Linda S Watson


(Image from http://fineartamerica.com/featured/le-divorce-linda-s-watson.html)

This piece of work is created by American artist Linda S Watson and it is named 'Le Divorce'. This piece is about her recent divorce which has been a tough and emotional time. Each piece of work that Watson creates has the concept of emotion and is always one that she has experienced in her lifetime. Watson always uses different materials and mediums in her work but she mainly uses oil on canvas as her base. In this piece of work in particular, she has used images of her home, in which she had to sell when her divorce came through for financial reasons, some of her own blood and steel wool.
This piece is a very angry piece, which you would expect. It is a mesh of red, black, green and purple as well as images of her house and the steel wool, which forms a broken heart shape at the top of the piece.
When I look at this image I feel emotion towards the artist because I can see that she is heartbroken over her divorce. This relates to my project as divorces can be very chaotic etc. She uses light and shade very well in this image as the steel wool creates dark shadows onto the reds and purples on the piece. Watson has used primary and secondary colours in this piece which complement each other. This piece has a three-dimensional form as things such as the steel wool are not flat. 
The component parts of the piece, which is primarily the steel wool, leads you in the direction of the piece to start from the top and to work your way around the images of her home and down to the bottom. The red paint and blood also do this to lead you to the bottom of the piece.
Watson quoted that "this (painting) represents the fury I felt at having my dream of 'happily ever after' shattered" which is the meaning behind the piece. She also quoted that 'this painting contains images of my home that I was forced to sell due to my divorce' which is the explanation to the images of her house within the piece.
I am going to work in the style of Watson because I want to portray my anger in a piece of my work which is what she does. The whole concept of this painting ties into the theme of my project therefore it is a good piece to recreate.

No comments:

Post a Comment