Wednesday 25 September 2013

COURSEWORK: Second Artist Analysis- Cy Twombly


(http://www.cytwombly.info/twombly_gallery.htm)

This is a painting by the calligraphic-style artist Cy Twombly. It was created by applying acrylic paint on a wooden panel. It is roughly 96 x 144 inches (243.8 x 365.8 cm). There are no general shapes as it made up of letters that have been painted on a dark surface with acrylic which has then dripped. It is a horizontal painting and it varies in line strokes as they are both thick and thin, as well as uncontrollable to the artist. All lines and letters overlap each other and this gives an effect of chaos. The majority of the letters are the same quite and are quite large, however there are two which are small and are wedged in between the larger letters. The colour scheme is simple- a dark green background with different shades of colour on it, with white letters covering it. I think this adds a real contrast to the painting, as well as making the calligraphic looking lettering stand out and attract the audience more. This piece was made between the years 2005-2007 but it is unknown where. 
I think the most distinctive feature of this piece is the lettering. As they have drips of paint over them and aren't very clear, it isn't easy to distinguish what the letters are actually saying. I think that the white acrylic against the dark, and quite harsh green is another feature that stands out as you are automatically attracted to the bright white letters. The piece is varied and, as stated before, quite chaotic. The lines from the drips of painted are controlled by the movement of the letters. I think that the effect of using acrylic paint would be more depth to the painting. I really enjoy looking at this painting because I see different things and features every time I look at it. 
Unfortunately I was unable to find the meaning of my artist's work as Cy Twombly hasn't said anything about the piece which is available online. I think that his work wants to show the chaos of every day as well as his subject matter, whatever that may be. I think it is an extremely good piece of work because it just captures my attention straight away and I hope to take some of his techniques and use them in my work for this personal investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment